Friday, October 29, 2010

AVOID AVG

There was once a time that I'd do nothing but sing the praises of AVG, I loved the free version and recommended it to people all the time, it was a great defence for the PC.

It looks like those days are gone.

Today I went to install AVG Free 2011 on my mom's PC and it was the biggest mistake that I have ever made in my entire life.

Well it installed ok, or so I thought, when despite it saying that it installed OK that the system was unprotected and had an invalid licence code (I checked their knowledge base they have no advice for this issue despite people having this problem). No matter what I did I got the same problems, so the only thing I could do next was uninstall this and find something else to replace it

AVG had other ideas.

Despite using a administrator account AVG was adamant that I did not have sufficient account access, and therefore couldn't remove it, which in turn means that no other antiviral software could be used on it...frustrating to say the least.

I decided to have a look on the AVG support forums, and lots of people are having serious issues with systems being screwed up by AVG Free 2011.

I'm frankly quite disappointed, they used to be so good, like I said at the beginning of this blog, I'd tell everyone to download and use it....now I suggest you avoid like the plague.

Incidentally, you need a piece of software specific to remove AVG 2011, and the link below is a direct link for the software to help you and instructions:
http://www.avg.com/filedir/util/support/avg2011remover_en.exe
I put the link here as it was pretty much buried in the forums, look in the knowledge base was pretty much useless....AVG Technologies, I'm really disappointed in you.

Good people out there, if you value your PC....DO NOT DOWNLOAD AVG 2011!!! Mom's system is now currently running avast! Antivirus and is working well.


1 comment: